Participative Decision Support System
The main output of the project consists in a system of tools designed with the scope of knowing and monitoring the sustainable tourism context, together with a support system for analysing data and giving useful interpretation for decision making. The system is organized in four parts.
THE SHAPETOURISM OBSERVATORY
In order to improve the knowledge framework about the tourism health of MED cultural destinations, and help stakeholders to “shape tourism in a sustainable way”, the Smart Integrated Tourism Data System offers information, scenarios and indicators on competitiveness, attractiveness and sustainability. The Innovative observatory integrates traditional data with broad mass of data, using new methods for collecting and processing BigData and generate open data able to overpass informative limitations of conventional statistical analysis.
The observatory will bridge the gap amid stakeholders’ current information needs and traditional statistic responses.
Click on the VIDEO button below, to see an explanation of the Observatory Tool.
THE SHAPETOURISM SURVEY
The ShapeTourism Mediterranean Tourism Stakeholders Survey provides unique insights into tourism’s state of health in the Mediterranean area today.
- Evaluate the tourism industry’s dynamics and trends
- Predict the possible impacts of global changes on sustainable tourismdevelopment;
- Understand local reactions to global trends in tourism sustainability;
- Measure tourism externalities;
- Assess stakeholders’ perceptions of their destination’s life cycle stage;
- Identify sustainable practices being incorporated into private stakeholders’ operations, as well as barriers and challenges to adopting these practices;
- Appraise public stakeholders’ opinions of how to enhance the sustainability of tourism development and operations.
THE SHAPETOURISM CARRYING CAPACITY SCENARIOS SIMULATOR
The ShapeTourism Carrying Capacity Scenarios simulator provides a useful tool for interpreting future scenarios of the Mediterranean regions in relation to established indicators:
- tourism density;
- tourism intensity;
- occupancy rate;
- average length of stay.
This tool is easily accessible for all users and provides:
- comparable information for all MED regions,
- information for coastal and non-coastal areas,
- historical information,
- future scenarios with different time horizons.
The scenarios are based on alternative future courses of demand and supply tourism variables.
THE SHAPETOURISM CLUSTERS MAPS
The Cluster Matrix tool provides a visualisation of the geographical concentration of Mediterranean regions based on the driving forces, pressures, state and response (DPSR) model. The ShapeTourism project team conducted a DPSR analysis of MED regions at the NUTS 2 level. The detailed indicators used and the methods applied in the analysis are available in the deliverable entitled ‘Analysis of Regularities and Deviations in Pressures, State and Responses’.
The visualisation of these clusters provides valuable insights into the Mediterranean regions’ heterogeneity within the DPSR framework. Together with the ShapeTourism Observatory, Survey and Scenarios Maps tools, the Cluster Matrix is a key tool for analysing regional drivers of the tourism industry.